A happy new year to one and all; I do hope you enjoyed decadent festivities last night and that your year will be a happy, healthy and very Georgian one!
|A Party with Music and Actors Entertaining the Company by Hendrick Goovaerts, c.1710|
Today, I take a look back at the five most popular posts of my first six months here at the Guide, based on the recommendations of your good selves, my esteemed salon visitors!
Naturally, we shall countdown in reverse order to the most popular post of 2013 but do feel free to delve into the archives and discover some tales of the long 18th century that may not be so familiar.
5. From the battlefields of Europe to the Jacobite Rebellion… the opinionated, ambitious life of John Campbell, 2nd Duke of Argyll.
4. Paying the price for sleeping on the job… the capture of Calico Jack and his crew.
3. From Versailles to the guillotine and all the way to Baker Street... the eventful life of Marie Tussaud, wax-sculptor extraordinaire!
2. The final hours in the iconic life of Marie Antoinette...
1. The last day of Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson, a legendary Georgian hero...
Happy new year!