It came as a pleasant surprise to realise today marks the publishing of my five hundredth post!
This seemed to me something of a milestone and I thought I would mark the occasion with a countdown of my five most popular posts as recommended by salon visitors. I must confess to being somewhat surprised at number one, but not unpleasantly so.
Less surprising is the very good showing for the French Revolution in this list; whatever your favourite, it is a pleasure to present the top five posts to you today!
5. The Storming of the Bastille: The Parisian mob swarm into the Bastille, freeing its prisoners and bringing down this mighty fortress.
4. "Short in stature, deformed in person, and hideous in face": The life and death of Jean-Paul Marat, Revolutionary icon.
3. "We have lost more than we have gained": The death of Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar
2. "My Blood Alone Remains": The final hours in the life of Marie Antoinette as she awaits her date with the National Razor.
1. The scandalous life of Princess Juliane of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, who battled with personal unhappiness in a search for fulfilment.
I hope you have found something to interest you here at the Guide; here's to many more!